Hi all,
Since I´m no good at regular email, here´s my account of most of what´s happening. Of course after I left home and 35 hrs later on transporting, I made it to Canada for 3 weeks and then to the northeast of the states before I got to Chile.
In brief, taught here in Santiago for the semester, more or less stopped working mid Jan and went off for 5 weeks to see some of the south of Chile, shot off to this side of Argentina and then again to Chile before coming back to Santiago. I´ve been bumming around here for 10 days just cos I´m too slack to plan the rest of my holidays...
The south was really pretty, I climbed a volcano, saw a bit of spitting lava before I chocked from the fumes, went to bubbling hot springs under a starry sky at 2 in the morning, walked in the forests - but all this when I had friends. Once your on your own and off the gringo-trail in a place like this you might as well start knitting. So I streched 2 weeks in bloody-expensive-Chile and then tried to get the first bus to Bariloche, Argentina. Course I had to wait 5 days for a bus, cos I´m a last minute gal and everything was booked out. So I inadvertently had to hang around Puerto Varas for the next bus, a lake side town with a view of 2 active volcanoes from its banks. Pretty and pricy again so I hung out with the street jewellery vendors, some of who were Mapuche (southern indigenous folk, who were actually the last peoples to be subjugated to Spanish Imperial rule in south America) and generally from other parts of Chile. With them I practiced my Spanish, told me I had "buena onda", that I was cool basically, and we sat on the banks of the lake at night, playing a little guitar, smoking and drinking the cheapest red wine you could find from the only 2 plastic cups available. As eager as I was to get outta Chile, things were just starting to make sense. These were the people I needed to be with all along.
Bariloche had the vibe I was hungry for so spent 10 days on the piss, oh but I did hike up Cerro López - 4 hours to get up there to see endless mountain ranges, lakes, snow and to be above the clouds, and then spent maybe 1 hours stumbling down on my city-chic sports shoes. Once people in the hostel I was staying thought I worked there, I decided I knew too much about where to get the best chocolate and ice-cream and it was time to think of somewhere else to go. I kind of dragged myself away cos I did meet some very interesting people, but I was just being a slackass.
So I went to El Bolson, hippy capital of Argentina probably, where the mountains and earth there have very high levels of spiritual energy.. Well there I found out that the superduper hiking shoes I just bought were painfully too small and walking to my hostel 4 kms out of town got a bit tiring. That´s when I decided to visit my santiagian mate who was across the boarder, but of course it would take me 4 days to get there, booking a bus and all. On the way I had to stay in San Martin de Los Andes which I fell in love with. The ride there on a minibus was supposed to take 4 hrs, but it took 7, but I wasn´t so disappointed. Those last 3 hours we started on an unsealed road with virtually no traffic, rain and no suspension on our mini. But as it happened I was going through one of Argentina´s biggest attractions - the seven lake region, sprinkled with hills, mountains, cliffs, cascading flora, and lucky for the rain it kept the road dust down on the ground and the clouds once again below me.
Now I have to make some hard decisions - where to blow the rest of my savings. But I´m also keen on checking out the job market in Buenos Aires, sounds like a saucy place.
So here goes nothing...
domingo, marzo 12, 2006
Suscribirse a:
Comentarios de la entrada (Atom)

1 comentario:
...ok I just did this but I did it wrong....I can just imagine you hanging out with Mapuche street vendors...that's my wife's scene...but what I'm really waiting for is all the juicy gossip from BA....don't FORGET to be safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Publicar un comentario